Monday, September 29, 2014

thai high

Learn Basic Thai Before You Travel to Thailand

Before you travel to Thailand, it is a smart idea to learn some basic Thai words and phrases. (Even if you are not going to Thailand any time soon, wouldn't it be cool to know how to say a few phrases in a foreign language?) Most people in Thailand don't speak much English, except in Bangkok and some big cities. By knowing how to say some simple Thai phrases, you can make friends with the local people, make your trip easier without having to depend on an interpreter and perhaps help yourself bargain for stuff more successfully.
Bangkok at Night
Bangkok at Night

Democracy Monument, Bangkok

Democracy Monument Bangkok
Democracy Monument Bangkok

Greetings and some other simple phrases

Hello = Sawaddee
The word "sawaddee" is like "Ciao" in Italian. We use it to say both hello and goodbye.
How are you? = Sabai dee mai
I'm fine. = Sabai dee
I'm not feeling well. = Chan mai sabai
Thank you = Kob kun ("u" in "kun" is pronounced "oo" as in "foot")
I'm sorry. = Kaw tode
Never mind./You're welcome. = Mai pen rai
My name is.... = Chan cheu...
What's your name? = Kun cheu arai
Nice to meet you. = Yin dee tee dai rue juk
Yes = Chai
No = Mai chai
If you want to sound extra polite, you can do so by adding a modifier at the end of each phrase or sentence. If you are a man, say "krub". And if you are a woman, say "Ka". For example, to say hello in a very polite way, a male speaker can say "Sawaddee krub" and a female speaker can say "Sawaddee ka".

A Hardworking Monkey on Samui Island

Floating Market

Floating Market Thailand
Floating Market Thailand

Numbers

1 = neung
2 = song
3 = sam
4 = see
5 = ha
6 = hok
7 = jed
8 = pad
9 = kao
10 = sip
11 = sip-ed
12 = sip-song
20 = ye-sip
21 = ye-sip-ed
22 = ye sip song
30 = sam-sip
100 = neung-roy
1000 = neung-pun
10,000= neung meun
100,000= neung san
1,000,000= neung-lan

Shopping

How much is this? = Nee tow rai
How much is that? = Nan tow rai
Can you lower the price? = Lod raka dai mai (Whenever you say this, it's a very good idea to also say "krub" or "ka".)
Do you have a bigger one? = Mee tua yai kwa nee mai
Do you have a smaller one? = Mee tua lek kwa nee mai
It's a bit too expensive. = Pang pai noy
I really like it. = Chob maak

Expressing Your Feelings

I like....= Chan chob...
I don't like...= Chan mai chob...
I'm having fun. = Sanook mak
I'm hot. = Chan ron
I'm cold. = Chan now
I'm hungry. = Chan hew
I'm full. = Chan im
I want to eat...= Chan yak gin... ("g" in the word "gin" here is pronounced "g" as in "gain", not "j" as in "jeans")
I want to go to...= Chan yak pai...
I've got a headache. = Chan puad hua
I've got a stomachache. = Chan puad tong
I like Thailand. = Chan chob muang thai
I like Thai people. = Chan chob kon thai
I don't want to go back home. = Chan mai yak klub baan

http://om-paramapoonya.hubpages.com/hub/speak-thai

No comments: