1. Come, Agni, praised with song, to feast and sacrificial offering: sit As Hotar on the holy grass! 2. O Agni, thou hast been ordained Hotar of every sacrifice, By Gods, among the race of men. 3. Agni we choose as envoy, skilled performer of this holy rite, Hotar, possessor of all wealth. 4. Served with oblation, kindled, bright, through love of song may Agni, bent On riches, smite the Vritras dead! 5. I laud your most beloved guest like a dear friend, O Agni, him Who, like a chariot, wins us wealth. 6. Do thou, O Agni, with great might guard us from all malignity, Yea, from the hate of mortal man! 7. O Agni, come; far other songs of praise will I sing forth to thee. Wax mighty with these Soma drops! 8. May Vatsa draw thy mind away even from thy loftiest dwelling place! Agni, I yearn for thee with song. 9. Agni, Atharvan brought thee forth by rubbing from the sky, the head Of all who offer sacrifice. 10. O Agni, bring us radiant light to be our mighty succour, for Thou art our visible deity!
1. O Agni, God, the people sing reverent praise to thee for strength: With terrors trouble thou the foe 2. I seek with song your messenger, oblation bearer, lord of wealth, Immortal, best at sacrifice. 3. Still turning to their aim in thee the sacrificer s sister hymns Have come to thee before the wind. 4. To thee, illuminer of night, O Agni, day by day with prayer, Bringing thee reverence, we come. 5. Help, thou who knowest lauds, this work, a lovely hymn in Rudra s praise, Adorable in every house! 6. To this fair sacrifice to drink the milky draught art thou called forth: O Agni, with the Maruts come! 7. With homage will I reverence thee, Agni, like a long tailed steed, Imperial lord of holy rites. 8. As Aurva and as Bhrigu called, as Apnavana called, I call The radiant Agni robed with sea. 9. When he enkindles Agni, man should with his heart attend the song: I kindle Agni till he glows. 10. Then, verily, they see the light refulgent of primeval seed, Kindled on yonder side of heaven.
1. Hither, for powerful kinship, I call Agni, him who prospers you, Most frequent at our solemn rites. 2. May Agni with his pointed blaze cast down each fierce devouring fiend: May Agni win us wealth by war! 3. Agni, be gracious; thou art great: thou hast approached the pious man, Hast come to sit on sacred grass. 4. Agni, preserve usfrom, distress consume our enemies, O God, Eternal, with thy hottest flames 5. Harness, O Agni, O thou God, thy steeds which are most excellent! The fleet ones bring thee rapidly. 6. Lord of the tribes, whom all must seek, we worshipped Agni set thee down, Refulgent, rich in valiant men. 7. Agni is head and height of heaven, the master of the earth is he He quickeneth the waters seed. 8. O Agni, graciously announce this our good fortune of the Gods, And this our newest hymn of praise! 9, By song, O Agni, Angiras! Gopavana hath brought thee forth Hear thou my call, refulgent one! 10. Agni, the Sage, the Lord of Strength, hath moved around the sacred gifts, Giving the offerer precious things. 11. His heralds bear him up aloft, the God who knoweth all that lives, The Sun, that all may look on him. 12, Praise Agni in the sacrifice, the Sage whose holy laws are true The God who driveth grief away. 13. Kind be the Goddesses to lend us help, and kind that we may drink: May their streams bring us health and wealth 14. Lord of the brave, whose songs dost thou in thine abundance now inspire, Thou whose hymns help to win the kine?
1. Sing to your Agni with each song, at every sacrifice for strength. Come, let us praise the wise and, everlasting God even as a well beloved friend, 2. Agni, protect thou us by one, protect us by the second song, Protect us by three hymns, O Lord of power and might, bright God, by four hymns guard us well! 3. O Agni, with thy lofty beams, with thy pure brilliancy, O God, Kindled, most youthful one! by Bharadvaja s hand, shine on us richly, holy Lord! 4. O Agni who art worshipped well, dear let our princes be to thee, Our wealthy patrons who are governors of men, who part, as gifts, the stall of kine! 5. Agni, praise singer! Lord of men, God! burning up the Rakshasas, Mighty art thou, the ever present, household lord! home friend and guardian from the sky. 6. Immortal Jatavedas, thou bright hued refulgent gift of Dawn, Agni, this day to him who pays oblations bring the Gods who waken with the morn! 7. Wonderful, with thy favouring help, send us thy bounties, gracious Lord. Thou art the charioteer, Agni, of earthly wealth: find rest and safety for our seed! 8. Famed art thou, Agni, far and wide, preserver, righteous, and a Sage. The holy singers, O enkindled radiant one, ordainers, call on thee to come. 9. O holy Agni, give us wealth famed among men and strengthening life! Bestow on us, O helper, that which many crave, more glorious still through righteousness! 10. To him, who dealeth out all wealth, the sweet toned Hotar priest of men, To him like the first vessels filled with savoury juice, to Agni let the lauds go forth.
1. With this mine homage I invoke Agni for you, the Son of Strength, Dear, wisest envoy, skilled in noble sacrifice, immortal messenger of all. 2. Thou liest in the logs that are thy mothers: mortals kindle thee. Alert thou bearest off the sacrifleer s gift, and then thou shinest to the Gods. 3. He hath appeared, best prosperer, in whom men lay their holy acts: So may our songs of praise come nigh to Agni who was born to give the Arya strength! 4. Chief Priest is Agni at the laud, as stones and grass at sacrifice. Gods! Maruts! Brahmanaspati! I crave with song the help that is most excellent. 5. Pray Agni of the piercing flame, with sacred songs, to be our help; For wealth, famed Agni, Purumilha and ye men! He is Suditi s sure defence. 6. Hear, Agni who hast ears to hear, with all thy train of escort Gods! With those who come at dawn let Mitra, Aryaman sit on the grass at sacrifice. 7. Agni of Divodasa, God, comes forth like Indra in his might. Rapidly hath he moved along his mother earth: he stands in high heaven s dwelling place. 8. Whether thou come from earth or from the lofty lucid realm of heaven, Wax stronger in thy body through my song of praise: fill full all creatures, O most wise! 9. If, loving well the forests, thou wentest to thy maternal floods, Not to be scorned, Agni, is that return of thine when, from afar, thou now art here. 10. O Agni, Manu stablished thee a light for all the race of men: With Kanva hast thou blazed, Law born and waxen strong, thou whom the people reverence.