Monday, November 5, 2012

It’s a big relief: Milind Soman


It’s a big relief: Milind Soman

Priyanka Dasgupta, TNN Dec 1, 2009, 12.00am IST
Tags:
(Milind Soman )
Post the acquittal in the 14-year-old court battle on charges of obscenity in connection with the controversial Tuff Shoes ad, Milind Soman tells TOI he is happy for Madhu Sapre and happier still being with Shahana
How does it feel to be finally acquitted in the obscenity case?
It is a big relief to all of us. While we all had faith in the judiciary, it is a shame that so much time, effort and public money was expended on an issue like this.
Do you ever regret shooting the ad that way?
I regret the fact that it is so easy for irresponsible people seeking a little publicity or importance for themselves just so that they can take advantage of our judicial system to further their own needs.
It took 14 years for you and Madhu Sapre to get acquitted. Does that say anything about the speed of trials in India?
There should be fast track courts for cases like this, and may be a credible panel or body to assess whether a case like this is at all admissible.
What in your view is obscene in contemporary India?
To my mind, perpetrating violence or allowing violence to be perpetrated against others in the name of caste, race or religion is obscene. We see all this around us today. Turning a blind eye to the use of babies and young children as tools for begging is obscene. The fact that we take these things for granted and that it does not even bother us, is horrifying.
Have you spoken to Madhu after the verdict? Are you still in touch with her?
Madhu and I have been in touch throughout the duration of the case. She has been through a lot. I am actually happy for her, now that it is over.
Though you still get women weak-kneed, are you worried about going grey?
I love my grey hair and my grey beard though I am at present contract bound to keep my hair naturally black with a certain product. I like this look too!
There were reports in the media stating that Shahana (Goswami) and you are no longer together. Is that true?
Shahana and I are very happy together. I don't know who wastes time making up stories.
Any offers of doing another international film?
No international projects at this moment in time. Maybe, I have to produce something myself!

No comments: