Monday, October 29, 2012

Minds are Like Parachutes.


inds are Like Parachutes...

by Rose
(Calgary, Alberta, Canada)
This is one of my favorite quotes from Sir Thomas (Tommy) Dewar

"Minds are like parachutes... they only function when they're open."

Sir Thomas Dewar (1864 - 1930) was, of all things, a Scottish whiskey distiller and salesman. Thomas and his brother John blended their whiskey into an international success called Dewar's Whiskey.

What I love about this particular quote is that it always reminds me to keep an open mind about everything. If your mind is closed, you can't learn new things; you can't see a better way or a solution to a problem. Basically, you stagnate where you are because nothing new can enter.

Just like a parachute, if you don't open up you'll end up crashing. I find that surprisingly true, especially with some of my friends. They stick with one way of doing something or one train of thought over a particular issue, and all I hear is "drama and more drama" because they get nowhere... but they refuse to open their mind to a different possibility and course of action.

I really believe that's the way they actually like it... or perhaps I should say, they love the drama - and by opening their mind and changing their thoughts - the drama would disappear. And then what would they have?

I find that Dewar was quite the thinker and had a good grasp on how life works. He came up with a lot of very interesting sayings. A few others that I really like of his are:

"Enjoy now, another now is coming."

"The greatest mistake you can make is to be continually fearing you will make one."

And I always laugh at this one:
"If we are here to help others, I often wonder what the others are here for."

No comments: